People nowadays develop new hobbies and create them into their passion. But the hustle of life, doesn’t allow that to last long. Gardening is one such hobby where people are aspired to get a piece of nature in their cubicle no matter the space but eventually in their fast life forget to take care of them like repotting, watering or nourishing them with fertilizers. Sometimes due to less knowledge, over-watering or wrong fertilizer leads to a dead plant. So, in order to avoid these mishaps, the agriculture sector came up with a new design of Planterettes known as “Self watering pot.
A self-watering pot is basically designed in a way that holds extra water and as soon as the moisture level drops in the soil, this water seeps into it slowly. There are also other kinds where water gets poured like the drip irrigation system. Few types which are usually preferred in Singapore are,
- Automatic water absorbing pots
- Rectangular water division pots
- 2-layer handmade pots
- Hydroponic pots
- Transparent self-watering flower pots
- Inclined 2-pot structure
Cons of self-watering pot:
- Plants that come under the aquatic category are considered to be thirsty that require excess water aren’t suitable for growing in these pots as they may get dry soon.
- Weather is another important factor that a gardener needs to keep in their mind. These kinds of pots do not perform well in humid environments. They might induce water-logging or rot the roots.
- Another con that this design brings in the price. It is not pocket-friendly so not much people are able to afford this product.
- This is DIY (Do It Yourself) system, but if the holes are not drilled properly then it can affect the water flow.
- Stagnant water invites mosquitoes which in turn are harmful to several plants.
- Water-logging may lead to rotten roots due to excess moisture retention.
The basic kinds of self-watering pots based on the nature of a plant are:
- Lechuza Container- Helps the user observe the water level through an indicator. So, it is easy to track the water measurements.
- Santino Container- Gives a durable plastic coating along with great air circulation property so that the plants can stay healthy for a long time.
- Bloem Ariana Pots- This design is quite suitable for plants that grow under varied temperatures and keeps the soil moist for more than a week.